Mittwoch, 27. Februar 2013

Moroccan adventure...

This post is a part of a swap with the following rules ~
*pick a recipe posted on a certain blog
*cook the dish
*take a pic of everything and post on your blog

The recipes were all from a Moroccan cuisine book... We have a small fast food corner here, where you can eat falafel, harissa and such small dishes, but apart from that, I've never tried anything Moroccan. Well, that would be a challenge, I thought... For some reason, Beghrir sounded quite nice and ~ most of all ~ manageable to me, so I planned to do this:


The recipe: I was happy about the g and ml indications! I can deal with spoons, but cups just make my brain go BANG! I never know how much a cup is and the recipes that mention cups make me want to cry... (There must be a certain amount that generally makes a cup and I imagine some of you might laugh about my confusion, but still...) All the ingredients looked perfectly reasonable too and within reach, no need to find a Moroccan grocery store (nothing wrong with that, but due to my habit to get my swaps done on the last day...), I just had to go out to buy some fresh yeast... The instructions were clear, I just had to look up some words like 'semolina', so yeah, I thought I can get started... Oh, and I took the half of everything, because the original recipe sounded like a huge load of pancakes ^.^

The ingredients

IMG_4843 

salt, eggs,  (granny's ^^) yeast, butter, semolina, water, oil (a little bit for the pan), milk, flour and honey to add if you wish...

First step: mix yeast and water and leave for 15 minutes

IMG_4845 

well, I do a lot of things with yeast, fresh or dry, but I always use milk here... then it gets all happy and bubbly and I can get on with my buns and dumplings... Here ~ nothing happened... I thought I killed the yeast first, because the water was too hot, so I tried again and checked the water three times before I decided to use it... well, still nothing... I decided to use it as it is then...

Second step: mix the rest of the stuff 

IMG_4847 

I decided to just take two eggs, because 1 and a half sounded too troublesome to me (though it's possible) and after I mixed all the ingredients (except the fluids), I realized that I should have added the yeast stuff later... oh well... I also didn't sift anything because my sieve is tiny and it would have taken me a million years...

Then ~ beat it!!

IMG_4849 

it was quite interesting to beat the dough with one hand and to take a photo with the other o.O

IMG_4851 

I liked what it looked like ^^

The dough: should be left under a cloth for two hours... Done that, but nothing raised... mehhh... 

IMG_4852















Third step: just make them pancakes

IMG_4853















ok, the dough looked pretty much like water, but I managed to produced something that looked like a pancake...

IMG_4855















I know, I wasn't supposed to turn them, but I just wanted to make sure that they weren't raw on the one side and burnt on the other... It also turned out that my oven is a B**** because 2 was too much heat and 1,5 too little, so yeah...

IMG_4857















It took me like 40 minutes to make about 12 pancakes (don't be offended if I call them pancakes all the time), which reminded me why I hardly ever make pancakes... I didn't put any more butter on them than while frying, because my stomach would have cried, but I prepared honey to eat them with... And I also made my favourite lemon tea to enjoy with them ^.^

IMG_4858















I'm going to try them with sour cream (it does look like a white mouse sitting on beghrir, doesn't it? o.O)... wait, this is GOOD!!

IMG_4861
















In the end, I didn't manage to try honey, because they were so good with sour cream and then I was full! But there are quite a few left for later, so I hope I'll try them with honey too ^^



7 Kommentare:

  1. oh that looks so yummy, as for cups you can buy special measuring spoons which has one for a cup full which makes it so much easir and you wonder what the problem ever was.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. a spoon for a cup?? now you've got me completely confused!! ^0^ the pancakes were really good, why didn't you come over to eat?? ^.^

      Löschen
  2. Your pancakes turned out gorgeous! Did you ever find out what was up with the yeast? Maybe you didn't even need it. Thank you so much for participating in my swap. I am going to post a few more, soon!

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Thank you *blush* I'm looking forward to new challenges ^0^ As for the yeast, I saw some pix of beghrir online and they look pretty bubbly, so yeast is probably nice... I think I can deal better with dried one, so that's what I can take next time... My mum makes blini with and without yeast, so with un-yeasty dough you can still make nice pancakes, but still... ^.^

      Löschen
  3. LOL a cup is 235 ml! My recipe will be up Friday night...

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Oh and if you take 250 ml for a cup there's uually no problem either. ;)

      Löschen
    2. thank you!! I'll try to remember that ^^

      Löschen